Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Rhinoplasty confusion

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Rhinoplasty confusion

Hi there - I had revision rhinoplasty on may 4th and it seems like my problems before have worsened. Due to my first rhinoplasty, my septum became deviated to the right and I had a large bump on the left side of my tip making my nose look like an 's'. I thought I was clear that I wanted my nose straightened and the bump reduced - I did not want to wake up with a completely different nose - but now my nose is shorter, thinner and it makes the problem even more noticeable. I have become severely severely depressed and I need some reassurance. I am hoping this is only swelling - will the bump on the left side of my tip go down? I thought my doctor was going to fix that. It can be seen from the front as the left side is exaggerated and when I turn my head slightly to the left there is a large bump but when my head is to the right the tip is smooth from the bridge of my nose to the tip. I am really worried. I don't think the tip can be swollen to the point where it will change later as it is just molded hard cartilage? It seems my right side is softening more, making the bump more noticeable. Please respond asap - also, I am a smoker and this is not helping me quit, am I allowed to smoke?  Thankyou.
If your revision procedure was performed only more than one week ago, there is no way you can assess the results at this early stage.  If the problems you note are present in several months, then they would become an issue.  Crying and smoking do not help the healing process (crying increases blood pressure and swelling, smoking reduces blood supply to the tissues and may delay healing).
Hi again - I have also been crying non stop, will this affect my healing?
is it possible for the left side of my tip that is protruding to go down and blend into the bride of my nose like the other side?
This is a questions to discuss with your surgeon.  It is not possible to evaluate your situation without personally examining you.