Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Scar Tissue, Lower Lip, After Surgery

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Scar Tissue, Lower Lip, After Surgery

I had surgery for my face about three weeks ago and I am going back next week for one more surgery. I had multiple facial fractures, along with a broken nose and my jaw was broken in three places. After the first surgery to fix everything and wire my jaw shut, I noticed that my lower lip had hardened to a rock. I asked my surgeon about it and it is scar tissue. He told me to massage it after the sutures were healed up. I was just wondering if there was a way to massage it because I am not sure of any and if there were any specific methods for it? The hardness is really starting to become an annoyance and I would very much like to begin to try to work out the hardness. I understand that I am not supposed to until after my next surgery (next Thursday, Dec. 10th, '09), but in the meantime any suggestions on methods to remove the scar tissue would be extremely helpful.

~Melanie
Although pressure and massage can help scars, time is the best cure for lip hardening.  Sometimes, surgical revision is necessary if the scar persists.  I believe that massaging your scar will have limited benefit.