Scar Tissue, Lower Lip, After Surgery
I had surgery for my face about three weeks ago and I am going back next week for one more surgery. I had multiple facial fractures, along with a broken nose and my jaw was broken in three places. After the first surgery to fix everything and wire my jaw shut, I noticed that my lower lip had hardened to a rock. I asked my surgeon about it and it is scar tissue. He told me to massage it after the sutures were healed up. I was just wondering if there was a way to massage it because I am not sure of any and if there were any specific methods for it? The hardness is really starting to become an annoyance and I would very much like to begin to try to work out the hardness. I understand that I am not supposed to until after my next surgery (next Thursday, Dec. 10th, '09), but in the meantime any suggestions on methods to remove the scar tissue would be extremely helpful.

~Melanie
Although pressure and massage can help scars, time is the best cure for lip hardening.  Sometimes, surgical revision is necessary if the scar persists.  I believe that massaging your scar will have limited benefit.