Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Seeking Scar Revision

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Seeking Scar Revision
I have a scar in the gulley between my chin and lower lip, from a pretty traumatic accident about 7 years ago. The wound healed well, but I don't scar well. It is a jagged scar about an inch long with that "railroad track" look. What kind of result could I expect when I seek to have it revised?
Scar revisions usually involve excision of the existing railroad tracts and scar and meticulous re-approximation of the resulting defect.  Sometimes, a change in direction of the existing scar can be achieved by breaking it up with Z-plasties or W-plasties.  While improvement in the appearance of the new scar will occur, It is very difficult to predict whether the healing of the new scar will satisfy all of your goals.  Some residual scarring will always be present.
Thanks you for taking a momnet...
I have to pursure this a bit further by saying I expect there will be some residual scarring..and I havent unrealistic expectations. All I really want si for the scar to be a smoother line...not "railroad tracks"