Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Self damage to nose?

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Self damage to nose?

I am hoping someone here can give hard evidence that a person cannot make their own nose bones bigger.  my daughter is convinced that she has made her nose bigger by pressing on it.  A little more detail:  She has had severe pressure in her head and face for several months and started pushing on her nose bridge to help relieve the pressure.  Now she feels she has pressed so hard that she has caused the bones  in the bridge of her nose to protrude out on each side.  She thinks they feel bonier and sharper than they used to.  She did the pressing so severely last summer that the skin was raw and her nose  bled for about a day.

I don't notice a change, but feeling her nose, I think the bones on the sides of her nose bridge do seem pointier,  but she also has lost some weight so maybe it is just thinner?

I appreciate any input... she also... probably not surprisingly... has anxiety and this whole issue is not helping her progress in getting it under control.  She feels she has damaged herself and cannot live with it.

Pressure in the nose may cause soft tissue swelling, but it will not have any effect on the underlying bony or cartilagenous structure.  Her obsession with her nose is disturbing and probably requires professional counseling.  A visit with a plastic surgeon  will confirm that her nose is undamaged, but I would also investigate her underlying motivation for her manipulations.
Will there be an answer coming from the expert on the above question?
I am bumping this question to get an answer from the expert please.