Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Seroma after Breast Reduction

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Seroma after Breast Reduction

I had a breast reduction a month ago today.  Everything was going great until about nine days ago when I had to go to the emergency room. I was told that I had a seroma and they took out 300 cc.  Wow!  I had been sore on this one side while the other side is just great!  We live two and a half hours from the plastic surgeon so I called my local Doctor and he got me an appointment with a local Surgeon for tomorrow.
If I would have been told that this could have happened to me, I'm not sure if I would have done this.  It feels great to breath so much better, my back and shoulders are not  sore, but this seroma is not enjoyable!

How much long should this be going on?  Is this normal with a Breast Reduction?  
My surgeon said, "You are the first person that has had this with me doing these procedures.  I stopped putting in drains twelve years ago." Could this be is this true?
What is the normal fluid removed from the seroma?
Seromas are highly unusual with breast reduction.  I virtually never use a drain.  I suspect that you will need repeated needle aspirtions of the seroma for a week or more until the fluid accumulation stops.  It may also be appropriate to culture the fluid to insure no infection.
Thank you for your response.  I did have 50 cc removed on Thur.  I hope one more time will take care of this. I will ask the Doctor if I go in again to run a culture.

Thank you again.