Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Skin Graft Recovery Period?

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Skin Graft Recovery Period?
Hi!

How long does it take for a skin graft to heal? This graft was a partial thickness one that has a cross-hatch pattern, went over a muscle flap on the outer side of my heel. Most of the graft looks great, even has a little bit of feeling, but the edges are still leaking, some areas slowly bleeding. It's been at least twelve weeks since the surgery.

Yes, I'm a bit frustrated as I can't return to work until the thing is healed.

Thanks so much for your time. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Maria
Your meshed skin graft has now fully taken, but open areas adjacent to the edges of your wound are not uncommon after this type of surgery.  Your surgeon is in the best position to evaluate your condition and advise you about any further treatment to complete your healing.