Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Stitch left in after surgery?

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Stitch left in after surgery?
My daughter just had a minor surgery and the wound is looking great but at the end of the wound is a piece of string about an inch long sticking out. I thought they used disolvable stitches because she never had to go back in to get any taken out. She won't go back to see the surgeon again for another few weeks. I'm worried that this string will catch on something. It doesn't look like it's supposed to be there. Will it go away on its own or will the doctor have to somehow take it out?
This will easily be removed by her surgeon and is probably related to the knot tied in the dissolvable suture.  I suggest seeing the surgeon soon (but it is not an emergency).
She's had two more areas of stitches coming through the incision that we just had them remove. Is this normal? It's been 2 months since her surgery. Shouldn't things settle down by now? Shouldn't any stitches be dissolved by now?
Otherwise, it looks like it's healing pretty well.