Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Stitches

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Stitches

I got pushed down last Friday and had to get stitches on my chin for a pretty deep cut (about 1.25" wide, to the bone). It's been a week and I can possible get them taken them out tomorrow but I am concerned that there is some hardened tissue underneath the stitches that is going to remain at my chin. It's actually pronounced enough that it changes the shape of my chin slightly on the right side. Is this normal? Will it go away? I read about massaging the area and I will do that, but I can't help but think that it is connected to the fact that I had to wait 7 hours before I got sewn up by the doctor (11pm - 6am in the ER). What do you think?

Thanks,

Isabella
The deformity and hardness may be the result of bleeding into the soft tissues  with subsequent scar formation.  This usually disappears with time whether massage is used or not.  Scarring is always its most disorganized and thickest at four weeks post injury, so patience is advised.  Resolution of scarring occurs over the next three or four months.
My three year old got chin stitches 2 days ago.  While brushing her teeth she pulled her head back. I now see a red line under the adhersive but it has not gotten bigger.  Is this normal bleeding? I dont go back to the surgeon til tuesday