Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Toddler with Poland syndrome

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Toddler with Poland syndrome
My so was born with Poland Syndrome. His right arm is underdeveloped, fingers deformed, and he s missing chest muscle. He is now 3 years old, and we have completed 2 surgeries at UCLA, for his fingers. I m concerned about him adjusting and making friends, being in relationships, etc, and i want to find the best solution anywhere in the U.S. We have good insurance that covers his recontructive surgeries, and the money situation is not a problem. What do i do, how do i proceed to find the best?
A major university center like UCLA (disclosure - I trained in general surgery there) is an excellent place for treatment of your son.  As far as adjustment in school and relationship with peers, it is often parental attitudes that make the difference.  There are many children with physical developmental problems who do exceeding well when self-confidence is fostered.
I wouldn't worry too much about him making friends and getting along socially. Many people with anomalies do just fine. I wouldn't look to get surgery for his chest, and most doctors won't do anything for it until at least age 12. If his hand is at least slightly usable, then you really don't need to rush in for surgery. Make sure that what ever doctor you go to, that he or she has experience with the condition. You can look at this website to look for more info. : http://www.polands-syndrome.com/

Hope all goes well.