Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Too Early for a Scar Revision Consultation

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Hi there,

Four days ago, I fell and smacked my mouth into the corner of a very jagged wicker sofa.  I was pretty banged up, but, at the time, I felt my injuries weren't severe enough to warrant a trip to the doctor.  However, now that the swelling has gone down and my scabs are beginning to come off, I think I may have made a grave mistake.  Specifically, I now have two rather large, red scars just below the left side of my mouth, and I am not at all pleased about how they look.  My question is: Is it too soon after the injury to talk seriously with a cosmetic surgeon about some sort of scar revision procedure?  I read somewhere that most cosmetic surgeons will make you wait at least a full year after the injury before they'll touch scars.  Thanks!

Josh
If your problem is an open wound, then I would seek medical care immediately.  If there is a wound that is closed and healing, but well opposed then I would wait for complete maturation of the scar before considering scar revision.  If scar revision is attempted in a recent or maturing injury with an active healing process, the results of revision will likely be unsatisfactory.  It is best to wait nine to twelve months from the date of injury for full maturation of the scar to occur.  It is very possible, over that period of time, for the resulting scar to heal so well that no revision is necessary.
I wonder if you could use Mederma on the scars?  I guess the best thing would be to see your doctor and ask what, if anything, you could use on them.