Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Upper Lip Reconstruction Surgery and Post op Swelling

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I had suffered from an injury that caused my tooth to cut deeply into my upper lip. The result was a hard nodule that remained in my upper lip causing an asymmetrical appearance when my face was relaxed and when I smiled. I had reconstructive surgery which I am currently now 12 days post op.The procedure the surgeon performed wasn't just the removal of the scar tissue, she said that it looked like I had a muscle gap in which she repaired by teasing the muscles to stretch and stitch together (Similar to how they repair cleft lip babies). I am concerned about the amount of thickness that remains in my lip. During the first couple of days there was an extreme amount of swelling that have resolved within the first 7-8 days. The amount of thickness that remains is a significant amount that is at least 3 times larger than my lower lip. There have not bee anymore noticeable shrinkage that I've seen for the past few days. The lip is soft to touch but when a little pressure is applied I feel toughness. I am careful due the numbness. Could it be that scar tissue developed in my upper lip why it is still so bulky? Is this something will be resolved? If so what is a realistic time span? I need to get back to work, but not looking like this! Any advice will be most appreciated!
After any surgery of the type you underwent, there will always be a significant amount of early welling.  Two weeks is still quite early for this to resolve.  Gross swelling may take another several weeks, but the final reslt will not be apparent for several months.