Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
Urethral repositioning and scar cleanup

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Urethral repositioning and scar cleanup

I was born with severe epispadias without bladder extrophy. I have had several surgeries on the phallis to restructure the form and urethra. However these surgeries were done when I was between the ages of 3 months to 3 years of age. i have had a total of 9 surgeries to reshape and attempt to resect the urethra to the proper location. However all have been unsuccesful. I am 29 years of age now and wanting this type of surgery for my own psychological health as this has been a factor in interpersonal relationships and has left me damaged in others. Due to scarring from such a young age, the growth effects that happen during puberty did not help too much due to the restrictive nature of scars.

I was wondering if there any safe or viable lengthening surgeries or if it was possible to resect the urethra at this late in life.
You need to consult with a plastic surgeon or a urologist who specializes in hypo and epispadias repairs.  I suspect that additional surgery may help, but you would need to be seen in consultation to determine exactly what can be achieved.
1 Comment
A related discussion, postoperative complications was started.