Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
breast reduction and insurance

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

breast reduction and insurance
i have been wanting to get a breat reduction for year but, i don't go to the doctor for anything inless i can't take the pain anymore kind of person. i have terrible pain in my back and shoulders and since i gained so much weight it has gotten worse. i don't do anything anymore because i hurt so much. i am wondering if this would be covered by my insurance company and can i tell them what size i want to be???
Breast reduction is often covered by insurance companies on the basis of the very symptoms you are experiencing.  Criteria for overage is based on your height, weight, photos, the estimated amount of breast tissue to be removed and a letter from your plastic surgeon justifiying that the surgery is not cosmetic

You would want to discuss the volume of tissue removed and your ultimate size with your surgeon.
A related discussion, I am trying to get breast reduction was started.