Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
chin capsular contracture

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

chin capsular contracture
Hello, I had a chin augment w/scar in my mouth and it was infected and had to be removed by week 6. i was concerned about the aftermath of not having a strong chin and now the potential of having a saggy chin due to the removal. my doctor said he would inject fat no problem, no charge, but that my body's formation of a capsule around the implant he would leave in and he said, "it just may give me the chin that i am looking for" -- and indeed, it did -- i have no complaints. however, from research, i have not heard of such a capsule forming around a chin implant and am thinking that maybe this so-called capsule will fade over time.. can you give me some insight into this issue? i.e., could this really be a capsule? and will it fade over time?
Every foreign object implanted into our bodies produces a scar tissue capsule that walls off the implant.  When the implant is removed, the scar tissue capsule is often resorbed, but a remnant of the scar tissue may remain, creating no problems