Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
doing smart lipo over a hernia 3 times

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

doing smart lipo over a hernia 3 times

Hi,I had smart lipo done on my lower abdomen in march,aug,and sept.At my first consult the doctor noticed an umbilical hernia and told me it would need to be fixed before my smart lipo.At the consult i pointed out to him a large hole in my c section scar and asked if that was a hernia.He said no so i had smart lipo.At each follow up i was concerned about the large swollen protrusion on my lower left side.The doctor kept saying it was swelling and would go away.I paid him again in august to do a revision to the area which at follow ups never changed ..just stayed swollen and sticking out.I had smart lipo done on the same area in september to try to fix the area again.At follow up at the end of sept the doctor said that bulge is a hernia and you need to go get it fixed by another doctor,even though he fixed my first hernia.So after all that aggravation and wasted money now i have to go get surgery again to fix my hernia that he should have diagnosed in feb.I have a ct scan that does show a hernia in that spot.My question is how dangerous is it to do smart lipo over a hernia 3 times?what could have happened?are doctors trained to diagnos suspected hernias before doing smart lipo to avoid rupturing a hernia?thank you
There are a host of issues that you bring up.  Umbilical hernias come in a variety of forms.  They can be just pre-peritoneal fat protruding through a fascia defect (as is usually the case) or a true hernia of bowel with a major defect.  If the hernia is tiny, then liposuction can be performed using an umbilical incision as long as care is performed with the procedure to avoid the hernia.  If the hernia is significant, then it could be repaired at the time of liposuction.  Major hernia repairs are usually performed by general surgeons.  The use of a Smartlipo laser assocaited with traditional liposuction in the presence of a major hernia, could potentially injury bowel (a major catastrophe).  Smartlipo machines are sold to any physician who is willing to shell out the funds for this equipment irregardless of training or specialty.  Since I do not know the qualifications of your doctor or the true nature of your hernia, I cannot comment about the appropriateness of your treatment.
So you are saying that I could have been injured seriously while having a smart lipo laser zapped over my hernia on 3 procedures.That is very scary since the Dr who did this is a general surgeon who is trained to diagnose hernias.He did umbilical hernia that one was obvious,but the c section one was deeper and it felt like a big hole.He never ordered further tests to find out why the left lower side of my abdomen was protruding and would not change after each treatment.He kept doing treatments and saying it was fluid and swelling.I am glad I am still here because I probably could of died if he did puncture it. thank you for your answer you were very helpful!