Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
encapsulated implants

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

encapsulated implants

I recvd implants approx 3 years ago.  One is fine, but the other was encapsulated, it is itchy, and tender. I had surgery about 1 1/2 years ago , for the encapsulation,  it was fine for about 2 months, then began to harden again.  I have had other scars that have  to develped into keloids. after  7 or 8 yrs. the scars softened and lightened. will this happen with the implant?  It seems to me, if my body is prone to keloids, there is no way to operate on this breast to make it better.  Any cutting on my body will just continue to scar, again and again.  Even if I have the implants removed, I think it will scar inside. which will leave that breast hard and itchy.  Any suggestions?
The problem with surgery for capsule contracture associated with breast implants, is that it is impossible to predict the success of the procedure.  In many cases, removal or partial removal of the scar tissue with or without implant repositioning, will result in soft symmetrical breasts.  However, there is a real risk that capsule formation will recur.  Removal of the implants will completely eliminate the problem since the scar tissue is reacting to the implants.  If, after several attempts to correct the capsule contracture formation, hardness reappears, then removal of the implants is your best solution if you cannot live with the contracture.
A related discussion, Encapsulated was started.
A related discussion, 43 year old implants was started.