Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
facial cyst removal/scar removal

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

facial cyst removal/scar removal
I had cystic acne about 8 years ago, and know I have permanent cysts in some spots ( I would assume from squeezing the acne). I had no idea at the time it was cystic acne because I had never had any problems as a teen. there is a foul odor and cheesy substance that comes out and there are little ice pick scars that have formed around one particular cyst on my cheek. I really want to get them removed (the cysts & scars), but I was told that if I get the cyst removed there will be a deficit in my cheek & I will have to get it filled. Is there any way around this? The cysts arent very noticeable, but I can feel them & they are causing scarring and seem to be leaking in the surrounding area. I want to start interviewing plastic surgeons, but I'm not sure what questions to ask. Can anyone help me??
Some of these cysts sound like inclusion cysts that are routinely removed with surgical excision.  Usually their excision does not leave any significant depression.  Residual deformity and scarring should be discussed with a plastic surgeon in your area.