Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
facial pain after mini facelift

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

facial pain after mini facelift

In June 06 I had a mini facelift- lower area of face. I have been in pain since.  After surgery all the muscles in my neck spasmed- Surgeon said she had never seen any thng like it. I also had pain in my right ear.  Surgeon sent me to ENT doc He removed dried blood and wax.  Didn't help. Surgeon put on ear drops and antiobiotics for infection.  Didn't help. I still have this pain and pressure in the ear.
Surgeon did not use dissolveable deep internal stitches.  My body started rejecting them.  They came to surface and the knots started to push through the skin on my face and behind my lower ear.  I went back to have them removed in November 06.  I was awake,multiple lidocaine injections. Surgeon said scar tissue formed  and she had to dig through that to remove the stitches.

She put me on Neurontin, muscle relaxers for the terrible nerve  pain in my lower face and neck behind ears. It feels like someone with sharp nails is always pinching my face and ear.
The neck muscle spasms have intensified and now have spread to my upper back, where I also feel a burning stabbing pain, that I assume is nerve related. I know this is all related to the surgery, because before it I was extremely fit, jogged, lifted weights, skiied, etc. I never had an ache or pain anywhere.
While I have heard of rare patients with chronic pain post facelift, I have, fortunately, never seen any of my own patients with this problem.  There are sensory nerves which can be partially or completely injured during the procedure (the great auricular nerve, in particular).  My suggestion is that you seek the help of a local pain clinic or a neurologist who specializes in the care of patients with chronic pain.  There are treatment modalities that can help you reverse this problem.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Pain After Mini Face Lift was started.