Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
hernia appeared after liposuction

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

hernia appeared after liposuction

hello.  Eight months ago I had breast reduction and abdominal liposuction surgery. After which my surgeon told me 2 liters of fat had been removed. I am 54 yo and weighed around 170 lb. I was told post op that my stomach was swollen. 6 months later I questioned the dr. about what bump in abdomen was. She told me I had a hernia. Now my stomach is protruding worse than it did pre- liposuction.  Is it possible my liposuction caused this to appear? What do you recommend I do next? Both my family Dr. and surgeon said it isn't necessary to do anything about the hernia. I paid out of pocket for this liposuction and I look worse now than before that large outlay of cash.  
I suspect that It is possible that the liposuction made visible a pre-existing separation of the rectus fascia (rectus diastasis).  This could only be confirmed by a direct examination.  The liposuction did not create the problem, but only made it more visible.  If this is the correct, diagnosis of your problem, it is possible to surgically repair this protrusion. A surgeon would need to examine you and advise you.
Thank you.