Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
incision won't heal

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

incision won't heal
I had a breast lift w/implants 2 1/2 months ago.  My incision site around the areola is red and raised.  I have talked to my doctor and he thinks that I am regecting the suture.  Also my vertical incision under my right breast has an area that became soft and discolored, it eventually opened. The doctor "dug" in it to try and find a suture but couldn't, he has me treating it with Silvadene cream.  It is still open with a small amount of drainage that is odorless.  Now there is a second spot forming about a cm below this one. what should I do?
The deep sutures used to close your wounds are dissolvable.  An inflammatory reaction occurs around the suture which results in disintegration of the suture material.  It is not uncommon for the reaction to surface along the suture line and produce a suture abscess or open wound.   Treatment includes topical antibiotics or exploration fo the wound to retrieve the suture.  This situation is self-limiting, but is definitely a nuisance.
A related discussion, Incision Open was started.