Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
lesions after breast reduction

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

lesions after breast reduction

Dear Doctor,

I had a breast reduction 15 yrs ago.  It was uneventful, healed well, and looked great.  I went from a DDD to a small C.  I was in Athletic shape, and very healthy until I suffered a spine injury after falling hard on slush/ice.  Within 4 months, my breasts began to have ulcers/lesions, which oddly enough is a mirror to the other.  I tried everything, from creams to herbal compress to heal them.  When they began I had only gained 6 or 8 lbs.  Since the spinal issue, now 6 yrs later, they are extremely scared, hardened spots, and still trying to deal with the lesions.  Another factor is I have and had Alopecia Universalis (whole body balding) and it seemed my entire body took a decline since the injury. I have seen plastic surgeons (not the one who did the surgery because he is nowhere to be found) Dermatologists, Oncologists, and been on a variety of antibiotics.  They are very very tender, and even tho I rarely let them hang, it continues to be an issue today.  It's like the skin is literally breaking, and looks like a chemical burn. When they are open sores, they are impossible to close, and it takes me months to heal a small ulcer the size of a pea. 6 yrs later, I've been put on the Cancer Breast Program to monitor the scar tissue that seems to be growing, and hardening of new scar tissue caused from the ulcers themselves. I live in the country, not close to factories or radiation.  Have you ever seen this?  
Thankyou in advance for your time, and
Brightest of Blessings,
OldWays
I have never encountered this type of problem, nor can I readily suggest a diagnosis or solution.  Your history does suggest some underlying disease process that may be the ultimate source of this problem.  It seems to me that a full evaluation by an internist would be the first step in determining the cause and treatment of your problem.  If a local sophisticated internist is not available, it may be appropriate to seek an evaluation at a university medical center.
Thankyou so much for taking the time to answer my question.  It is much appreciated.

Old Ways
Dear Doctor,
Could I ask another question?
During the last few years I have gained weight, especially not being able to be as active as I used to be.  Over the last half year, I have lost 40 lbs, and still going.  Have you ever done a second breast reduction removing the scar and damaged tissue?  I know there is always pros and cons, however, what could I do to become the perfect candidate for the best success.
Thank you so much for your time,
Blessings
OldWays