Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
lip scar bump

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

lip scar bump

hello. about 9 weeks ago i feel and busted my upper lip open. a straight cut from top to bottom. i got 4 stitches later that night and the person who did it did a pretty good job. i took care of it. the only thing is i got dissolving stitches and they never feel out on there own and i had to go back after 3 weeks and get them removed. since then i have been using jelly and bio-oil and massaging the scar and the scar is looking pretty good. except two visible lighter bumps down the scar. one is more noticable than the other. cause the scar line looks darker those bumps being lighter in color are more visible. i dont mind the scar line. its the bumps that are bothering me especially the bigger one. is there any options for this. should i keep using the bio-oil? or should i switch to mederma? should i go see a dermatologist? would steriods be an option? any help would be appreciated. thank you.
The bumps could be cysts in reaction to healing (milia) or reaction to deep sutures, or even small mucous cysts along the scar line.  I would suggest being seen by a plastic surgeon to determine if immediate treatment is appropriate or if treatment should be delayed pending further scar maturation.