Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
open heart surgery scar

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

open heart surgery scar
I had open heart surgery in 1979 when I was 7 years old. I am now 36 years old and am increasingly thinking about options for scar removal. Is it possible to remove/reduce a significant scar such as from open heart surgery which is almost 30 yrs old?
The age of the scar is irrelevant.  The scar's location and your genetics and healing capacity play more of a role in the success for scar revision.  The scar cannot be erased, but improvement in its appearance may be possible.  You need an examination by a plastic surgeon to determine the potential for success.
A related discussion, Plastic Surgery for Open Heart Surgery Scar was started.
A related discussion, The young Age was started.