Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
permenent suture removal,one year post tummytuck

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I had mt permanent sutures removed,6 months ago from a tumy tuck that was extremely tight.I went a year and a half until my husband had me go to a surgeon that thought removal would help me loosen a bit.The sutures were lodged deep in my rectus muscle tissue.Since then I can barely hold myself up,and my muscle is exremely weak..it appears as though it has sunken in especially in the middle.I am very concerned,and it feels as though it is coming apart.How important were the sutures,did this surgeon make a bad decision?Do you think I need to have this fixed..after exercise,it is painful,and my lower abdomen protrudes very noticably.It is to the point of bigtime fear .I was glad to find you.Sincerely,Neicy42
Tags: sutures
The permanent sutures placed in the rectus fascia at the time of a tummy tuck basically pleat the fascia to permanently tighten it.  Once full healing has occurred, the sutures become irrelevant, because the fascia heals in its new tightened configuration.  Merely removing the sutures would accomplish nothing and loosen nothing.  The real question is, what did the surgeon, who removed the sutures, do to the healed fascia and underlying muscle.  You would need to discuss this with that surgeon.  It is not possible for me to second guess what the problem is with your current condition without an operative report of that surgery and a direct examination of your abdomen.