Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
post face lift neuralgia

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

post face lift neuralgia

I had a smas lower face lift about three years ago.  I'm continually bothered with pins/needles/electrical type sensation on mainly one side.  Tinnitus is also present on this side and was not evident before this procedure.  I've been to many doctors, surgeons, neurologists to no avail.  I'm told to give it more time and to go to pain management.  I've even been told that I didn't pay enough for the surgery, so I got what I deserved!  Well, the surgeon was board certified with nearly 15 years experience and his charges were in line with similar doctors.  It's just ashamed that I'm having to live on gabapentin because of this and that no one can offer anything positive.  I've heard the statement of this being highly abnormal so many times that I'm tired of it.  What can you offer in the way of positive comments.  Surely, I'm not the only person in the country with these symptoms and that even you must be familiar with occasional problems like I'm experiencing.  What would be your approach for me.  Thanks.
While I have seen and heard of patients with persistent neuralgia following facelifts (probably a form of so-called reflex sympathetic dystrophy), I do not treat this condition.  It is best approached by a group of specialists in a pain clinic.  I would suggest seeking a consultation in the best local pain clinic in your area, or going to an established regional center at an established university setting.