Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
pro bono

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

pro bono
are there any plastic surgeons that do pro-bono work. I am 48 had gastric bypass in 2004 told to keep the weight for 3 to 4 years and then have the reconstructive proceedures done. I was on active duty navy when the bypass was done and assured that tricare would pay, now I am being told that  any proceedure has to be medically necessary for them to cover. I don't have the money to do this my self and looking for help and guidance. I lost 150lbs and have alot of areas that need to be put back were they belong. I thank you in advance for your time, help, and suggestions.
The cost for correction of the deformities associated with massive weight loss can be quite high.  It is not merely the surgeon's fee, but also the facility and anesthesiologists fee that need to be considered.  It may be that Tircare could be induced to consider a portion of the procedure as medically necessary (for example if you have chronic irritation and rashes below the apron of skin of your lower abdomen that usually develops after massive weight loss).  First find a physician that accepts Tricare (not many do) and then have them attempt to obtain pre-authorization for the surgery.
A related discussion, Serious Pro Bono Cosmetic Help Needed was started.