Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
scleroderma and bodyfillers, safe or not?

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Hi, I asked a question before about fat grafting to the buttocks. Now I have a question about PMMA body fillers. Is it safe for someone with localized scleroderma to even consider this? Do body fillers have permante results or does it only last temporarily? Anyone who has had experince or has inforamation, it would be greatly appreciated.
PMMA (Artefill) fillers work by stimulating the body to form scar tissue (collagen) about the microscopic beads that are injected.  It is approved for use in the nasolabial folds.  I would be very cautious of its use in localized scerloderma because of the auto immune aspect of that disease.
First of all thanks for your response. I have another question, I've been researching PMMA, and I was wondering, since they've used it on aids patients who have low immune systems, and it was sucessful, how would it affect me differently, being that we both have autoimmune diseases?
Ok Dr.Rosenburg, one more question (by the way you have been so helpful, thanks!) I was wondering about the safety of hydrogel and scleroderma also...
Hydrogel is currently in use in Europe, but does not yet have FDA approval for use in the US.  I have no experience with this product.