Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
skull filing

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

skull filing

i was curious, i have a bump on my skull right on the top from where the skull fused together at the saggital suture, it rises gradually then peaks, it's about 3 inches long from front to back right along the suture line and an inch and a half wide. normally it wouldnt matter but constant friction in that area has left a fairly pronounced bald spot, so you can really notice it.  i was wondering if it might be able to file the area down provided my skull was thick enough in that area, and it wouldnt take much to smooth it down to fit with the rest of my head.  im not even sure where to look for a consult, this is the first thing ive found relatively close, yeah i know it sounds wierd. can you point me in the right direction with a reference?
The shape of your skull has nothing to do with alopecia in an area of boney prominence.  Filing the relative thin outer table of the skull will not affect its shape.  You would need to be seen by a maxillofacial surgeon or a neurosurgeon to see if any shape change would be feasible and appropriate.