Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
skull reshaping implants

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

skull reshaping implants

I want to ask you if there is some kind of cosmetic surgery that can be done to change the skull shape or reshaping the head in general, my problem is that i have a slope on the top of my head, it begins from the back to the front of it, it looks like the tip of my head is missing, so i searched the internet and did a small research and i found that there is an implant from POREX (surgical products group) that can be customized and transplanted to give the demanded shape, so please let me know if this kind of surgery is doable or has been done before?

Thanks,
There are a number of implantable synthetics that can be used for volume reshaping including solid silicone as well as others like Porex, you mentions.  Whether this is appropriate for will can only be determined by a plastic surgeon or maxillofacial surgeon at consultation.
I know that no one can tell me the exact cost of a cosmetic skull reshaping surgery because it differs from one doctor to another, but can i get an approximate number, Just roughly to get an idea!!!
The first step would be to determine what, if any, procedure would be appropriate for your situation.  Speculating on the cost of placing an implant, even if this would be the proper approach, would be folly, because this might require a staged procedure, like the use of a skin expander prior to placement of a permanent implant.  In addition to the cost of professional services, there is the cost of an implant (again, if appropriate) that would require custom design and manufacturing as well as facility and anesthesia charges.
Thanx doctor for explaining in such a detailed way, but i still have two questions:

1. I need your medical opinion and advice on what is better for such a surgery, Porex implant or moldeable materials, such as PMMA and hydroxyapatite?? because i heard that porex might cause an infection or something like that!!

2. For personal purposes i just need a figure of the cost, lets say in my case am going to need the (skin expander surgery in addition to the cost of professional services, the cost of an implant if needed plus the facility and anesthesia charges), the maximum cost of such a surgey would be around 5000$, 10000$ or 15000$ ..ect, just an approximate number not the real one.

Your help is highly appreciatet and i hope to hear from you soon, Thanks.
I need your medical opinion and advice on what is better for skull implant surgery, Porex implant or moldeable materials, such as PMMA and hydroxyapatite?? because i heard that porex might cause an infection or something like that!!

Please provide me with an approximat cost for such surgeries!! just roughly.
A related discussion, flat head was started.
A related discussion, Where and who? was started.