Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
swollen lip after stitches
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

swollen lip after stitches

I recently had a through and through laceration in my lower lip. I recieved 8 stitches which all healed fine and were removed by a doctor. After aproximately 18 days after the accident my lip was healed farely well. A small scar and some hard scar tissue was all that remained. A couple of days later my lip became swollen next to the exterior scar. this is not scar tissue this is softer. I have had scar tissue on my lips and can tell the difference. This swollenness has been apparent for 4 days. What could this be? Thank you.
Related Discussions
242582_tn?1193616720
The swelling is either the result of a re-bleed into the lip with a hematoma formation or, more likely, residual scar tissue that often build up whenever a through and through laceration occurs.  If this persists after several months, minor surgery may required to correct the problem.
2 Comments
Blank
Hi there,
I have a similiar situation. I had a car accident many years back and have excess scar tissue as a result. I also had 15 stitches inside my upper lip. Years gone by and it is noticeably larger. I am going this afternoon to have the scar tissue removed via laser. My lip wasnt bad for the first few years but over time it became alot worse. I will let you know the results if you are considering having it removed. Best of luck~Katie
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating: What Your Closet ...
Jul 09 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank