Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
tissue necrosis following breast reduction

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Hi!!  I'm 2 weeks post-op and have developed tissue necrosis at the incision site of the Right Breast...radiating from the nipple area to the horizontal incision under my breast, in a triangle shade.  I'm being treated with Keflex and Silvadene ointment to the eschar (started 2 days ago).  My breasts are swollen, but no drainage, no fever and I don't smoke. All other tissue is OK...nipples look fine.
Is there more we should be doing??  My surgeon doesn't want to go back to the OR unless the wound becomes infected...he feels things might just "correct themselves".
I'm frustrated, scared  and angry that I elected to do this to myself....  How long do these things usually last, in your experience?  Any input would be great....I'm feeling very helpless...  Lynn
Your area of tissue necrosis is somewhat unusual.  However the fact that you have a viable nipple is a positive sign because nipple necrosis is a more common and devastating complication.  You may ultimately require debridement of the eschar to facilitate healing.  Your surgeon is in the best position to evaluate and treat you. Expect the entire process to take about two months or so for complete resolution.
Hate to keep posting about the same thing but I have researched a lot of patients now that have problems healing when they have. Ethicon absorbable sutures. Blue braided suture. Ask what type you have. I had necrosis from them in my throat. I have found many breast reductions patienst as well as tummy tucks. Drs and Patients watch out for this. The manufacturer has already settled o n a class action lawsuit regarding another similar suture called Vycril (sp?)suture.g due to pesticides in the fibers that the sutures were made from. Could easily happen again. Just a thought for you to look into.