Cosmetic & Reconstructive Surgery Expert Forum
tummy tuck tube and drain

Questions in the Cosmetic Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Howard Rosenberg and Dr. Wolfeld. Topics include bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

tummy tuck tube and drain

Hi - I had a tt 6 weeks ago.  The doctor removed the left drain because the flow of fluid had gone down.  I still have the right tube in.  The fluid range is between 85 and 50 cc's in a 24 hour period.  It has been at those numbers for 4 weeks now.  I am wondering a few things.  1. Do you think my body could possibly be trying to reject the tube at this point? 2.  I am famous for water retention ( I have cut out all salt that I have control over .) Do you think a water pill would help.  I have been getting weekly check ups and I love my doctor.  It is just that he has never had this happen to him.  The most he has ever seen is a tube up to 10 days.  3. Can you suggest anything that might help me heal more quickly?  I am now at the point of wearing a girdle and a compression bandage.  4.  Do you think light exercise might help?

Thank you for your time.
This is an extremely long time to still have a drain in place.  When drainage is down to 50 to 60 cc's in a 24 hr period, I usually remove the drain.  Has your doctor cultured the drainage for infection or started you on antibiotics.  The drain itself can be a source of irritation and stimulate serous fluid production.  I have all of my patients wear a girdle beginning on the day of surgery and allow them to go without it after three weeks, but many wear it for up to six weeks for comfort purposes.  Exercise may result in shearing forces between the abdominal fascia and the skin/subcutaneous tissue nad cuase drainage to persist.