Cosmetic Dentistry Expert Forum
Failed braces...what should I do?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Cosmetic Dentistry Forum will be answered by a medical expert. Topics include: Bonding, Bleaching-Whitening, Braces, Bridges, Crowns, Enamel Shaping, Extractions, Implants, Gap Closing (Diastema), Gum Issues, Recontouring, Recovery, Repairing Teeth, Ridge Augmentation, Shaping, Surgery, Veneers

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Failed braces...what should I do?

Hi, I'm 16 and I had braces for approximately two years to correct a crossbite; I got them off a year and a half ago.  The results at the end of my braces treatment were perfect, but about ten days after I got my braces off, my teeth gradually started moving (this was before I got my retainers).  When I went back into the orthodontist a few days later to get my retainers, they noted that my teeth had moved, but that the retainers would correct this.  What happened is that my teeth moved into a position so that I cannot bite down with my molars; when I put my teeth together, all that touch are my front teeth.  I followed all of the instructions with my retainers but the initial move right after I got my braces off never corrected itself.  I have been told by my dentist that this is a pretty serious problem because the front teeth can become worn down quickly due to constantly biting on them.  While my teeth are straight like they are supposed to be, he said that the real problem that he sees is that now my mandible is too far forward, and I may have to have braces again or surgery to correctly place my jaw.  I have never had full trust in my orthodontist, which may be normal.  But is this something to be concerned about?  What should I do?  I'm very afraid that my front teeth will become worn down.  And if the teeth wear down quickly like my dentist says, how careful should I be not to use them?  Thanks in advance.