Cosmetic Dentistry Expert Forum
Not Getting Used to Dental Crown

Questions in the Cosmetic Dentistry Forum will be answered by a medical expert. Topics include: Bonding, Bleaching-Whitening, Braces, Bridges, Crowns, Enamel Shaping, Extractions, Implants, Gap Closing (Diastema), Gum Issues, Recontouring, Recovery, Repairing Teeth, Ridge Augmentation, Shaping, Surgery, Veneers

Not Getting Used to Dental Crown
Hi, ever since I've broken my incisor to the right of my front incisor along the upper row of teeth, I have had a porcelain crown to restore the broken tooth.
However, the crown bonded to the tooth is not constructed as precisely as the lateral tooth on my left, thus I can feel the symmetrical difference in my mouth.  It isn't really comfortable as it feels like theres a bulge of extra porcelain material as compared to my tooth on the left.  

My question is, should I be getting used to the crown or should a crown be made as precise as the original tooth before it was broken?
Dear Joe,

Normally after 6 to 8 weeks the crown should feel normal.  If it has been more than this period of time I would recommend changing the crown to duplicate the natural tooth.  This often is not a easy process and should be done by an expert cosmetic dentist that will take the appropriate amount of time to restore the tooth and make sure you feel comfortable.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
General and Cosmetic Dentist
Beverly Hills, California