Cosmetic Dentistry Expert Forum
Persistent dental pain

Questions in the Cosmetic Dentistry Forum will be answered by a medical expert. Topics include: Bonding, Bleaching-Whitening, Braces, Bridges, Crowns, Enamel Shaping, Extractions, Implants, Gap Closing (Diastema), Gum Issues, Recontouring, Recovery, Repairing Teeth, Ridge Augmentation, Shaping, Surgery, Veneers

Persistent dental pain
I had three apicos on my upper left. My endo guy took out a heavy-duty amalgam on one root. He said it would take a while to heal, but that was over a year ago. I have been in pain ever since. Of course I've been back: They put my on antibotics to no avial (and I am allergic to most) and then sent me to have my tooth pulled, but the expert said it was a good tooth and that I had TMJ. I then had a costly mouth guard built and have since met with three dentists looking for answers. Lots of xrays. I even had a head CAT scan (thinking it might be a sinus problem), but it revealed nothing. I originally went to the dentist to have cosmetic work. I want a brighter smile and I have a few crowns, so I was looking into having them replaced and to get veneered up, but now my mission is to have a day without pain. Any suggestions? Where could I possibly go from here? Acupunture? My funds for the cosmetic work is dwindling.

Dear Mountainmom,

At this time I would recommend a Clifford reactivity test to make sure that there are no allergic reaction to dental material already present in the mouth.  There are also some centers that deal with myofacial pain specially in university dental schools.  These are the first two options that I recommend.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
General and Cosmetic Dentist
Beverly Hills, California                
I feel your pain! After extensive restorations, I too only have the goal to be pain-free! I'd take back my ugly o'l teeth any day to what I'm dealing with.  
A related discussion, dental was started.