Cosmetic Surgery Community
Abdominoplasty after Accutane - Wait 6 OR 12 Months?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I just started my sixth (and final) month of Accutane (60 mg/day). Per the information in the iPledge booklet, I should not have "cosmetic procedures" until I've been off of the medication for six months since the medication interferes with the skin's ability to heal which could cause keloid scarring. In my online research, I'm finding that some doctors say 6 months is acceptable, while others say wait a full year.  I'm anxious to get abdominoplasty, but at the same time, I want optimal results. Is there a consensus among the medical community regarding the wait time for getting elective surgery after completing a course of Accutane? Is there a blood test that can be done at the six month mark to ensure the Accutane is completely out of my system so I can proceed with the surgery without waiting a full year?  Twelve months seems a bit excessive to me and I'm curious as to where this 12-month recommendation is coming from since the official iPledge booklet says "at least 6 months."  Thank you!