Breast Reduction incision healing
Hello, My friend is a week into recovering from a breast reduction surgery and the doc used surgical glue to close the incision.  She is noticing now that the incision around her areola is starting to separate and has yellow pus oozing out.  At first the doctors office said the separation of the incision was normal but now that it's oozing pus, she's really affraid that it's now infected.  She's been keeping it as clean as possible and has followed all the instructions they gave her.  Is this normal?  Is there an ointment she can use that won't interfere with the glue to help keep infection out? The ER refilled her antibiotics and took a sample for testing but couldn't tell by looking at it a few days ago.  Any help would be great at this point. Please help!
well pus is always a bad sign, usually that's what any medical professional will tell you to look for in looking for an infection.  there shouldn't be pus in any wound. All I can say is to keep trying to keep it clean and keep up with the anti-biotics. eventually it'll get better.
You need to continue to watch that the oozing doesn't get worse and that you don't have a fever. I had breast reduction surgery on March 26th, 2010. My incisions separated and I developed an infection. I was on a 20 day course of antibiotics. The infection is under control but I have to change the dressings three times a day. I am using a hydrogel, saline, and prescription strength Silvidene. I am noticing some improvement but the surgeon told me this will take months to heal. Good Luck. Keep following up with the surgeon or if necessary your PCP.