Cosmetic Surgery Community
Carpal Tunnel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Carpal Tunnel

My PCP referred me to a Plastic Surgeon who is a Hand Specialist for the treatment of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I had already had the nerve conductive test done which confirmed the diagnosis.
I was in major pain for about a year...mostly on my right wrist, forearm and elbow. It just seemed to be spreading up my arm. I wore hand, wrist and elbow braces and wraps faithfully everynight, and most days for that entire year.
I wanted to get a cortisone shot because I had tendernitis and busitis in my shoulder years ago, got a cortasone shot, and 3 days later I was pain free, and stayed that way.
My question is: Is it proper procedure for the doctor to map out the nerves in my arm by sticking and jabbing a needle around my wrist and forearm into the nerves so that he could make sure that he didn't inject the cortisone into a nerve? It was the most painful thing that I had gone through in my life...and the feeling of being electrocuted everytime he hit a nerve. I was actually screaming out in pain, it was torture.
He also injected my left wrist with cortisone, and my left wrist, hand or fingers hadn't really been bothering me, although I had Carpal tunnel in the left wrist also...my thumb would fall asleep sometimes while sleeping, but that was about it...I didn't have any pain or anything...until after, and ever since the cortisone shot that the doctor gave me. About two days later, when I closed or opened my left hand all the way, I got an electrical shock shooting up from the palm of my hand and up through my ring finger. Then I realized that it was just when I bent and straightened my left ring finger I would feel the electrical shocks, so I just splinted that finger so I wouldn't move it or bend it.
I went back to the doctor for a follow up three weeks later. I told him about the problem with the pain in my left wrist and the electrical shocks that I felt when I bent or firmly straightened my finger. So he suggested another cortisone shot, between my left ring and middle fingers, which he did. Now, I have to splint both my ring and middle fingers because I get these electrical shocks shooting up both fingers when I bend or firmly straighten them.
It's been three weeks since the second round of shots. Is this normal, or could he have mistakenly damaged any nerves?
I would very much appriciate any answers that you can give me,  as i don't know where else to find the answers. I've looked online and haven't seen anything about a doctor mapping out your nerves by jabbing them with a needle, and when you screamed in pain, he knew that he had hit one and continued to do so at least 6 or 7 times.

Thank you so much for any answers,

katkonk  
Unfortunately the nerves cannot be mapped. The symptoms after the steroid shots can be due to irritation of the nerves. However treatment failure can also cause this. In that case surgery can be thought of. Surgery is sometimes recommended when other treatment has not helped, if a carpal tunnel condition has continued for a long time, or if there is nerve damage or the risk of nerve damage. Surgery involves cutting the ligament that forms the roof of the carpal tunnel. This relieves the pressure on the median nerve, which eases or ends the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.