Cosmetic Surgery Community
Chronic Pain Following face lift

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Chronic Pain Following face lift

2 years ago I had a neck lift, with lipo under the chin and my upper and lower eyes done.  I have had constant and often debilitating pain since the surgery.  Burning like Chinese burns, no feeling to the sides of the face, tightness  that is overwheelming.  Slight swelling along the jawline RHS that is worse at different times.

I've had blood tests, xrays, ultrasound, second opinions from other plastics surgeons and doctors.  No-one has any answers with the original ps telling me it is all in my head as this doesn' happen.  Turning my head to the RHS is often difficult and causes further pain.

I can't stand the pain and the numbness to the outside and the burning to the inside.

I have massage a couple of times a week to the neck area, and this does give me some relief. I get constant headaces as a result - I never had headaches before.

I don't know who to turn to or what to do, but living this life of pain is not what I envisaged.

Externally the results look great but the price for this is way too high.

This discussion is related to chronic pain.
Liposuction is a surgical procedure and like any other surgical procedure there are many complications of liposuction like superficial irregularities of the skin, seromas, hematomas, focal skin necrosis, allergic reactions to drugs, visible or disfiguring scars, discoloration of the skin, fainting during or after surgery, temporary bruising, numbness or nerve injury, and temporary adverse drug reactions.

Your symptoms can be due to nerve injury for which you should consult a neurologist and get a nerve conduction velocity test done.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.
Dysesthesia, or an unpleasant sensation occurring this long after surgery may warrant further treatment.

Is there scarring or tethering that is causing the problem?

Usually nerve pains such as this go away shortly after surgery with massage and desensitization therapies. Patients are often surprised to find out that massage, though unpleasant at first, can often reduce or eliminate this type of nerve pain. Instinctively, the patient protects the area, but this just makes the problem worse.

If nerve pain persists, the patient may want to ask their surgeon about consulting with a neurologist or pain specialist. They can prescribe medications such as low dose neurontin to help reduce the nerve pain while the patient undergoes therapy specific for the pain.
thank you for the replies

I will keep you informed - this is a long journey.