Cosmetic Surgery Community
Hernia after Tummy Tuck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Hernia after Tummy Tuck

It's been 4 months since my tummy tuck, my upper stomach has been swollen and it's painful to sit,cough, sneeze,laugh and bend. about 2 weeks ago I noticed a lump the size of a golf ball on my upper stomach between my ribs, I went for a catscan, it is a 3cc mid line hernia, I never had a hernia in my life, by the way I am 48. My surgeon did lipo, and sewed my muscles together and did say he cut a bit more skin so I would be in more pain then normal, and he did a new procedure sewing the flap to the muscle.(?), he did not acknowledge the hernia, he said he see's nothing. Now I face another surgery with this hernia. is this normal or common? What obligations or responsibility should my surgeon have?

This discussion is related to Had hernia repair after tummy tuck and doesn't look right..
Hi Tess .I had a tuck done inAugust the same as you and now a golf ball size hernia ,did you get any advice on this and if surgeon is responsable

thanks
debbieb11
I had tummy tuck sugery 3 months ago and have also developed a hernia.  I can't imagine it wasn't caused by the TT surgery as I've never had a problem like this before.  I will be seeing my surgeon tomorrow to fine out how the hernia will be treated.  In the meantime, I'm in a lot of pain.  I find wearing a binder helps a bit.
same here! but mine has developed in to a basball now! sfter 6wk post op. my doctor want to keep telling me it normal but im a nurse and its not! tomw i will be seeing him and making him fix this! I did not pay for this to happen!
I had a TT about 8 months ago and now have incredible pain and some swelling dont know if its a hernia but now i am so uncomfortable waiting on dr's office to call me back..
Hi All.  So glad to see these posts.  I am having exactly the same problem.  I am in shock to see others had exact.  To me that means there is a big issue.  I believe my surgeon did not address the highest part of my stomach bcs it takes more effort and work to go all the way up to the breast bone.  Before surgery it was clear that my muscles were separated only in the upper half (belly button up to breast).  He said he could fix it.  why else would I agree to a huge scar from hip to hip.  I did not have any saggy skin or stretch marks, just upper diastasis recti.  immediately after surgery noticed there was almost no reduction of bulge and kept asking.  He said it was just swelling.  Everytime I try to sit up in bed, a golf ball shape pops out of my upper 1/4 of stomach.  Did any of you find resolution??  Pls share any insight as to how to handle.  Cant believe I may have to repeat surgery.  Traded a hip to hip scare for nothing.  Surgeon gets to walk away with my money for nothing but a nightmare ahead for me.
I just wento to see a surgeon today and he told me that the swelling in my belly after one year of having a TT is due to rupture tissue or hernia. It is not easy to repair as they must take tissue from another area and puto over the one already damaged. It needs surgery to get rid of pain and swelling. I had to cry when he told me I must have another surgery.