Cosmetic Surgery Community
Indigent care

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Indigent care

My mother is 62 and had a quad bypass in April 2009 along with complications including HIT syndrome and also a slight stroke. She was released about a month later but continued with a small wound to the lower sternal area. She went to Wound Care around 7/2009 and had a CT scan that supposedly came back without any noted pus pockets.  The radiology report dated 7/31/2009 that compares to the CT done 5/6/2009 says that there has been interval resolution of left lower lobe consolidation and pleural effusion. Minimal right basilar atelectasis is seen. Stranding and minimal amount of fluid is seen tracking along the sternum, new from 5/6/2009. There is mild erosion of the inferior sternum which is consistent with the clinical diagnosis of sternal infection. Sternal infection worse in the inferior aspect with bony erosion. However, the surgeon went ahead and did a debridement and closure of the sinus tract on 8/14/2009. He noted that there was no evidence of pus. There was an old suture granuloma in the region. Cultures wet taken and the wound was washed with antibiotic solution and then closed. Ever since then she has complained about never feeling right and felt that her bones sort of shift when she moves or breathes deep. Ever since the bypass she has had a large lump in the lower aspect of her sternum, which began to drain on 11/6/12. This is where I am trying to get answers!! She has type 2 diabetes mellitus, Rheumatoid arthritis, high cholesterol, coronary artery disease, COPD, vasculitis, peripheral neuropathy.... She was taken back for surgery on 11/9/12 for a small abscess incision & drainage. However, she came out with a hole in her chest the size of a tennis ball! They had to remove 3 wires from her CABG (which she told them in 2009 that she was allergic to metal), removed some cartilage and part of her lower sternum. My mother has no insurance, however, a wound vac was donated along with 6 home health visits. Now I have had to learn how to do wound care because the to the wound vac was not working. Apparently she has two different infections in this wound. In your opinion what is her prognosis? I appreciate any information that you can offer as I have had to take a crash course in wound cleaning! The wound dr suggest going to a plastic surgeon to do a flap since it has been since November and it is a lot smaller but he says it will never heal completely without a flap. Any suggestions?