Cosmetic Surgery Community
Pain from neck lift surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

Pain from neck lift surgery

I had neck lift surgery in April of 2012. Ever since the back of the right side of my head feels like I have a metal plate that has been placed inside. My right side of head feels numb but at the same time I am in so much pain. Part of the pain goes deep into the center of the back of my head. The other part of the pain is at the lower part of the back of my head right at my neck. I get very little sleep due to not being able to lay on my back and having to sleep on my left side. I change out 4 different size pillows through out the night trying to try to get comfortable. Plus I never had sinus issues to which I am now having now. I am having a hard time breathing through my nose. Now this pain is starting to go into my neck. Please help me. Has anyone had this happen? What can I do?
Hi!
The pain in neck can be due to spinal nerve compression, inflamed sternocleidomastoid muscle as in TMJ, swollen lymph nodes if you can feel a mass, an abscess if you can feel a mass, a clot in the carotid artery or due to a muscle pull.
A MRI of the cervical spine and nerve conduction studies may be required. If your neck MRI is clear then the pain could be referred to the neck due to spinal problems of the upper back, or it could be due to tight neck muscles, or due to stress and anxiety or due to clots in the carotid artery. Hence you can get a MRI of the upper back spine and a dopplar study of the carotids.
Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure will work. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working.
Chronic sinusitis can develop due to several causes. Chronic sinusitis is often allergic and can be due to mold infection too. A damp wall in the house, carpets, and ACs are all potential sources of mold. Please consult an allergy specialist. You may need to take the allergy test. Chronic sinusitis can also be due to EBV infection. The other possibility is deviated nasal septum. Nasal polyps and tumors, worms in stool causing high eosinophil counts, gastric reflux are the other causes. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you so much for the reply. I will for sure talk to my doctor about having an MRI. Still worried that the doctor that did my neck lift may have hit a nerve. I am going to try the rolled up towel method hoping so badly this will help me be able to sleep.
Going to buy the analgesic spray.

Again thank you for caring,

Sharlene