Cosmetic Surgery Community
Plastic Surgery for Open Heart Surgery Scar

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

I have this long awful surgical scar down the middle of my chest from an unnecessary heart surgery.  I had no clogged arteries and during an angiogran the catheter caused a spasm and I ended up in open heart surgery for a blockage I did not have.  Both of the idiots the cardiologist and thorasic surgeon have admitted it was a catheter induced spasm.  I am left with the nasty unnecessary scar down my chest and my insurance won't cover plastic surgery.

This discussion is related to open heart surgery scar.
can you ask the surgeon who did the open heart surgery to write a letter to the insurance company?? many times if they have the written letter, they may cover the surgery/scar revision. but I wouldn't worry too much about the scar, no one really cares about it. I have a 9 inch scar that is unsightly, but I'm not going to change a thing about it.
I doubt that would do any good.  It would be considered cosmetic and an insurance is not going to pay for a physician screw up.
The letter usually works. I've done it a few times, as my specialist is a 'plastic surgeon', though I have never had cosmetic surgeon. He's done reconstructive surgery for me many times. Though once the insurance company sees the words plastic surgeon, they immediately call it cosmetic. So that's where the letter comes into play, and it tells them really whats going on. They can then cover the expense.