Cosmetic Surgery Community
large abcess(abscess) / cyst on mid-back next to spine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

i have a half-dollar to egg sized abcess (abscess) (according to the clinic physician) in the middle of my back... up against/ next to my spine.  It occurred overnight, it does now have a tiny "head" per the doctor (but not oozing) and i was perscribed bacitracin and sent home for the infection to clear... he said if it didn't go away, to go to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon but was not concerned.  The abcess (abscess) is very painful because of the location inthe middle of my back next to/against spine (i drive a lot or sit in a chair for work)  is there anything else I should be doing? I have had no fever; before this occured, I had a small (maybe fatty deposit beneath the skin for a year or more - not painful - about 1/2 inch from spine)  addl info - 4 days before this spontaneouslynoccurred overnight, I had deep periodontil cleaning at my dentist after several years absence and did not take antibiotics afterwards.  Sarah
This kind of lump can be a swollen lymph node, a sebaceous cyst or a boil. Lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph nodes) is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection along with other numerous causes. Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that fills with a white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. It is usually painless but can become painful if infected. Boils are caused by infection of the hair follicle be staph aureus.
What exactly is this can be diagnosed only after examination. You need a course f oral antibiotic and incision and drainage.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.