Cosmetic Surgery Community
pro bono breast reduction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

pro bono breast reduction

I am a 24 year old from Maine with 34 DD breasts.  I was turned down for state health care because I "didn't qualify" even though I am independent with no outside help.  How can I get the breast reduction that I need?  Do many doctors do pro bono work?  
I am a 29 year old female from NY. I wear a 38/40 DDD bra, maybe even bigger. I am in extreme pain from by back, and shoulders. I cannot excercise because of them and I suffer from rashes and breakout underneath and in between them. I am in desperate need of a breast reduction but cannot afford it and my insurance will not cover the cost. I also suffer emotionally because of them and would like some help. Are their any surgeons who do pro bono reductions or the surgery at a reduced cost?
I AM A 28 YEAR OLD BLACK FEMALE, WHICH HAD TO ENDURE A LOT OF TROUBLES IN MY LIFE AND ONE OF THEM IS HAVING A SIZE 44G BRA, AND BEING LOOKED UPON ONLY FOR THAT REASON. i DON'T THINK PEOPLE TAKE ME SERIOSLY, ALL MEN SEE ARE MY BREAST AND I AM TIRED OF IT. THIS THING THAT I HAVE IS PREVENTING ME FROM HAVING A NORMAL LIFE.I WANT TO BE ACTIVE BUT IT HURTS TOO BAD, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO GO TO VICTORIA SECRETS AS WELL. SOMETIMES I WISH THERE WAS A WAY OUT, I ASKED MY INSURANCE COMPANY, BUT THEY CONSIDER IT TO BE COSMETIC, AND EVEN THOUGH I SUFFER FROM BACK PAINS, AND CAN'T STAND UP LONG, THEY DO NOTHING!!! I BELIEVE I LOST MY CHILD BECAUSE OF THIS 2 YRS, AGO. I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE TO DO MY BREAST FOR ME, AND ALSO MAKE THEM EVEN!!! I CAN'T AFFORD TO DO IT, BELIEVE ME IF I COULD, YOU WOULD'NT KNOW ABOUT ME NOW, PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME??????????
Each of you ladies need to talk to a lawyer about tackling your insurance company.

Or legal aid about tackling your state health care program.

It is an accepted Community Standard of Care that reduction of painfully large breasts is NOT a COSMETIC procedure.

In talking about your breast problem, no words other than Pain, Discomfort, PHYSICAL Misery should pass your lips.

You should NOT mention the matter of appearance AT ALL.  Once you do that, the knee jerk reaction is "she is looking for something cosmetic".

You need to be a good candidate for this surgery, which means you have taken good care of yourself physically and are mentally and physically able to handle this surgery.  You will need someone to help you afterwards, you will have drains to cope with and pain medications and limitations on what you can do.

One other possibility, is to contact a local medical school or university teaching hospital's Plastic Surgeon Training Unit and see if they have a list you can get on, under these circumstances you must understand that you would be used as a training subject for Plastic Surgeon Interns.  This might not be acceptable to you.

Alternately, if you can possibly afford it, researching the various programs available through plastic surgery offices to borrow the money for the surgery is a possibility.

Be very careful when you choose your surgeon, look at where he graduated in his class and where he went to school.  Spend 25 bucks and check on the net and see how many times he has been sued (Make sure this is a reputable investiative service).  

Check on his name with every state in the unions Medical Boards.  A Doctor can be refused the right to practice Medicine in one state and move to another and start right up again.

Talk to him, if you don't like him or trust him... don't let him SELL you an operation.

Google him, see if anyone is bad mouthing him/her on the net.

Do NOT let a Doctor operate on you that is offended by questions... they are not God, they are offering you a service, you are a customer and you are entitled to ask questions.

Hello, I am a 56 years old and my breasts are trying to take over my body.  I am 5"3" and I was last measured as a 38JJ.  I currently have no health insurance.  I have a letter of recommendation for breast reduction from my chiropractor.  He lists thoracic pain, thoracic root lesion, low back pain and rotator cuff syndrome as some of the reasons why I should have breast reduction.  My body is constantly pulled forward because of the weight of my pendulous breasts.  My sleep is affected, actually my overall lifestyle is affected by my heavy breasts.  I cannot find a bra that fits and I cannot wear a bra all day now.  By lunchtime I have to go in the bathroom and unsnap to get relief.  One day I was hurting so bad at work that I unsnapped my bra and left it that way for the remainder of the day.  No one said anything but I am sure someone noticed.  I am currently unemployed and have no insurance.  

My medical doctor and my pulmonary specialist (I have asthma-developed within the last three years) also are willing to write letters of recommendation for me.

Please help!
-BE careful posting a member photo that is explicit, that draws people to view your XXX photos on this site when you have PERFECT implants.  It can BE TORMENTING to other women who are TOO large, and are suffering.  IF you want to show photos, you should do it to be informative, not out of VANITY.  Your photos can be the straw to break the camels back for someone who is emotionally on the edge from ALL her suffering, and sees no HOPE for relief.  PLEASE don't be cruel.  Some people can be provoked to desperate measures because of their frail mental state due to LONGTERM suffering from pain and mental anguish over living every SECOND suffering.

I am a 27 yaer old w/ 46-48 DDD breast. I tryed applying for emergency medicaid as the a Doctor suggested, but I was not approved. Often I would have to go to Emergency because of lower back pain and the Doctor would prescribe me Naproxen. How can I get a breast reduction before my spine takes a toll I can't recover from.
all of you who are wanting a breast reduction take a second look at pollyB's advice
She knows what she's talking about...especially the part about checking out the surgeon....i didnt and i wish i had
i AM A 43 YEAR OLD DISABLED WOMAN CONFINED TO A WHEELCHAIR,AND IN DESPERATE NEED OF A BREAST REDUCTION.
   i HAVE BEEN TO A PLASTIC SURGEON IN MY AREA ABOUT THIS,AND HE WAS WILLING TO DO IT,BUT MY INSURANCE WILL NOT AAPPROVE IT,BECAUSE THEY SAY IT IS COSMETIC SURGERY.
     I HAVE BACK PAIN FROM THE SIZE OF MY BREAST,AND AM NOLONGER ABLE TO WALK BECAUSE OF IT AMONG OTHER REASONS. THE SIZE OF MY BRA IS A 42DDD. IF I COULD GET MY INSURANCE TO PAY FOR THE SURGERY, I WOULD NOT BE LOOKING FOR A DOCTOR WHO DOES PROBONO SURGERY.
i have dealt with large ones since my late 20's.  I will soon be at the top of the hill age wise.  

I have problems with my back, and finding clothes that fit up there without buying clothes that are 2 times bigger than I actually need.  

I would love to find someone who would give me a reduction pro-bono as neither of my insurances will cover it.  
Im a 22 year old from washington. Im currently a single mother and dont have a very good job no health insurence yet i make to much to get state help. I am 4'11 140lbs and wear a 36 G. even when i am a little slimmer I still have very large breasts so its not because im overweight that my breasts are large. I cant remember the last time my back, shoulders or neck didnt hurt im in constant pain because the size of my breasts and i have a very short torso that dosnt support them at all. Sitting, standing even laying down hurts as much as i try to sit up stright i cant. I have been picked on most of my life since i was a C cup by 5th grade and sexually harrassed throughout my entire school life. I cant afford to get a reduction but I hate my breasts and want them gone. Bra shopping is a nightmare now i have to go to lane bryant which is a store for bigger women not 22 year olds that wear a size 7/8 to buy bras that fit okay but that still dig in and leave indents on my shoulder and bruises on my body because they are so heavy. I need help....