Cosmetic Surgery Community
swelling after tummy tuck

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cosmetic surgery, bariatric surgery reconstruction, breast augmentation, chemical peels, cosmetic or reconstructive surgery, face lift, nose reconstruction, and tummy tucks.

swelling after tummy tuck

I had a tummy tuck on Nov 2nd 2005. It was the worst mistake of my life! I am 52 years old and was in good heealth until the tummy tuck.  I keep getting hernias and having surgery  to repair the hernias.My right side of my abdomen is now held together with cow fetal tissue and I also have 8 titaniun screws inserted into the bones in my pelvic area along with lots of big stitches holding everything together.Now the left side is going and I will have to get the zipper cut and be repaired. It's about a 20 hour surgery! I have had several sugeries for MRSA infection and other complications. I have had staff infection and ecoli infection too.My current biggest complication is I look like I'm 6 months pregnant , my stomach is hard as a rock , extremely painful and I feel pressure and like I can't breathe good (especially when I sit down). I have an emergency appointment with my current surgeon today to find out if I can do anything about it (.I have had CTScans and ultrasounds and nothing shows up.)I have lost 20 lbs since the tummy tuck and  my waist is bigger than it was before the tummy tuck! I can't wear anything except lose baggy clothing.
Anyone else out there that has had this happen? I hope not, I wouldn't wish this on anyone!
Thank you for your time,

This discussion is related to Abnormal swelling in stomach/pelvis.
Wow--I feel for you (see my post right before yours!) I too had a tummy tuck but it was only 6 months ago. My belly is also swollen and super hard..but the end of every single day, the pain is incredible, like I have a razor wire cutting me in two all day, everyday. I have had a hard time with the pain management--I'm down to 2-3 7.5 Lortab a day and Ibuprofen piggybacking that. I wear my tummy binder almost all the time. I also had a  massive infection that ruined the look of the scar and set me back 2 months of healing...grr....(which they told me was SUPER unusual, but which I have since found is very, very common.) My PS doesn't want to see me anymore, and has turned me back over to my primary care doc for pain management, which she has not been too keen on. I have lost a few  pounds, am do l need to lose more, but I also cannot wear anything that touches the scar line...yep, I have a flat belly until about 2 in the afternoon, adn then my belly swells up to the point I am in excruciating pain and wearing the baggiest clothes I can find. I am trying to exercise, but anything I do seems to make the swelling worse.

My doc did say that it could take up to a year for the lymphatic system to settle down, but you had your surgery in 2005!!! This terrifies me...I can hang in there until the year mark....but to think this is permanent!! I could weep (well I frequently do, actually).....I was pleased at first with the results, and am still glad that I don't have that "belly" hanging down...but the pain plus the swelling....I am at my wits end too! Please share what your dr said to you-OK? Mine just wants me to come in and have a minimal "dog ear" re-do...but I am so terrified of the pain and the possblity f infection, I won't go in. I have become so depressed wiht the non-stop pain and the ugly scar..but the swollen belly is unbearably painful, I sewar I can feel muscle tearing apart in there.

I'm so sorry for what you are going through!!! PLease let me know how it goes, OK? I do care and I do inderstand how you are feeling. Good luck!!!

I wrote a big long response to your post yesterday but for some reason it wouldn't post when I clicked on post comment. Anyway, I had emergency blood work and x-rays done yesterday and am still waiting for a reponse from my doctor. I do have an appointment on Tuesday so I will find something out for sure by then. I will let you know.
Thanks, and take care,
Cheryl Ann
I am S/P a partial hysterectomy ( uterus removed / cervix cored)- and had an abdominoplasty at the same time. I was up walking around 3 hours after my surgery on 1/9 . I had a uterus that was. The size of a 5 mth  pregnancy, the surgeon and my plastic surgeon ( and employer) both said that my uterus was so bad that it flipped on itself and that it was distorting my bladder my urethra and my bladder and that it was extremely difficult to visualize the path in which they needed to dissect. The plastic surgeon told me the scarring ( adhesions) from my past c-section was unbelievable and also beeded to be dissected . Today is day 5. I am up and around and have been able to shower w/o assistance since day 1 ! I will say being an RN for my plastic surgeon keeps me in the loop with all the latest and greatest ! The Vita Medica Surgical Supplement pack is amazing. It's pre op and post op supplements( arnica, Bromeluin, Quercitin, ) as well as bit E, C,D, argnine cartinine, fiber, and homeopathic pellets and many more other supplements and mango green tea , ionic water, and lemons have already caused me to  already start to get the "healing itchies". Yes my abdomen is hard to the touch but it's only been 5 days. And I had a hysterectomy & abdominoplasty ! I'm so sorry to hear so many horror stories, if anyone needs help or advice feel free to email me if I can help with my knowledge I will. s.***@****
Not sure if you are still around because your post was back from 2012 but if you or anyone happens to read this, I wanted to say I had a tummy tuck 6 months ago and I am at my wits end! I sleep in a recliner still and have pain and swelling all the time which is worse at night. I feel like it's never going to end. I am so stressed not to mention how many times I went to the ER months ago for terrible muscle spasms and pain. Hope someone sees this and has or had the same issues. Thanks for reading, Jennifer