Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
12 year old with crohns not sleeping now

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

my 12 year old was diagnosed with crohns in aug she was still 11 .She has been doing good on the meds we are still having to find out what she can eat and not eat she take 11 pills a day my question is she has always had problems will sleeping but after being put on all these meds she can't sleep it is some times 4:00am before she is a sleep bythis time she is so  tired she is crying has anyone else had problems sleeping.We go to the gast. doc. tomorrow and i am going to ask him about this but i just wanted to know if anyone else has  this thanks.
I have Chrone's disease, and I had lots of trouble sleeping during the flare ups. The meds make it hard to sleep too. I am not a doctor, but my theory just from thinking is that the body wants to not sleep so that it can weaken the immune system because it knows the immune system is attacking. I am so sorry about your son!
I was diagnosed at 12.  I am now 30.  It's hard for me to remember those early days, but I have trouble sleeping in my adult life.  I've taken Lunesta and over the counter sleep aides.  But, I really think that sometimes, it's because you are so tired, you cannot sleep.  Your body just does not know what to do.  And, with all these new meds floating around in her, her body is probably really confused.  Try these tips:  don't let her have any caffeine after 6:30pm, drink a cup of chamomil tea about 30 minutes before bed and have her write in a journal all her feelings and worries from that day about 15 minutes before going to bed.  Stress plays a big part in our ability to sleep well.  You may not think of a 12 year old as having stress, but a 12 year old with Crohn's has stress.  Writing down all her worries in her private and personal journal will help get some of it off her mind.  I like to add a little lemon juice and sugar/honey to my tea.  It's really good.  My other tip:  put all the pills she has to take at one time in a tablespoon full of applesauce.  It makes them much easier to swallow.  Also, it's good to keep track of when she has stomach pain and what foods she ate that day.  Keep your own journal for this.  Take it to the dr with you.  The more informed and active you are in your daughter's health, the more the dr's will pay attention.  Last:  try to get on a regular timed schedule of when she takes her meds.  Try not to take them any less than two hours before bed time.  A warm bath might help with sleep, too.  A schedule will REALLY help.  Good luck and God bless.