Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Alcohol with diazepam
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Alcohol with diazepam

I m 26. I was work in hospital as a house officer ! One day, the patient admitted with alcohol withdrawal syndrome. He does not drink alcohol since 3 days ago. He suffer restless then I injected diazepam 10 mg iv ! In a few min, he got like gasping and then dead by respiratory arrest ! I did CPR but can't revive ! So can I give Diazepam to the patient who is suffering from alcohol withdrawal ? Advise me pls ! Thank you
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Sorry I posted wrong title :(
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
It is very unusual for diazepam to cause respiratory arrest. The death may be coincidental.  There is no evidence that diazepam causes excessive ventricular irritability. Alcoholics tend to go suddenly. Don't blame yourself. Hopefully there was an autopsy. I'll throw out a wild card. Depression of the repiratory system does not cause sudden "gasping". A blood clot in one of the main vessels leading to the lungs causes "sudden gasping".  That is my guess. This may or may not show in the autopsy.
Blank
Thanks u for yr kindness !
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949