Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Answers For My Mother- Crohns n Chemo like meds

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Hi, My mother is currently admitted to the hospital for which she thought was another bowel obstruction. They ran the tests and it wasn't it was a pocket of puss and infection and (forgive me I forget the full term) Something Sinus- where two separate parts of the intestine touch and begin to fuse together and cause a canal. They aren't recommending surgery but instead "attacking the situation more vigorously with chemo like medicines". My mom has had crohns a little over 8 years and has been hospitalized and operated on 3 times so far. She is on pentasa as of right now. She is 61 and at her wits end... She said that these meds they are recommending will kill her because she had serum hepatitis from a blood transfusion she got when she had an ectopic pregnancy before they screened blood in hospitals. As far as I know the last time they checked, she was clear of the hepatitis... Is there any truth in what she says? What can I tell her? She is so angry and refusing to do anything they say? Should she not take the meds they are reccomending? Please, any answers would be appreciated... I am at a loss of what to say or do to help her.
Tags: Crohns disease, chemo meds, answers, Cluster Headache, chemoions, Helping
Well, the term chemo-like drugs is very vague because chemo means drug therapy.  We use it for cancer drugs a lot, but technically it just means drugs.  You have the right to know the exact name of the drugs they are considering using and looking them up to find out what they are.