Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community
Can Colitis be mistaken for a bacterial infection?
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis issues such as: Abdominal Pain, Arthritis, Bleeding (Rectal), Blockage (Intestinal), Delayed Development (Children), Diagnosis, Diarrhea, Fissures, Gall Stones, Growth - Stunted (Children), Kidney Stones, Living With and Managing Crohn’s, Malnutrition, Medications – Drugs, Nutrition, Pregnancy, Protein Deficiency, Research, Skin Problems, Stress, Surgery, Symptoms, Tests, Treatments, Ulcerations – Sores, Weight Loss

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Can Colitis be mistaken for a bacterial infection?

Hello, I have a question regarding my husband. He has been having issues with ulcerative colitis (or so we think) for about the past 4 years. He had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with it, although he, nor I, think that is the real issue.

Info: He is 37, no issues with weight gain or loss, eats healthy (plenty of fruits, veggies, protein, and whole grains), works out about 5 times per week, drinks plenty of water, drinks no coffee (he feels a bit better without it so we have recently taken it out of his diet).

Symptoms: liquid to loose stool. sometimes bloody, very gassy, and he feels a lot of movement in his intestines.

Why we think it isn't ulcerative colitis: About a year ago, August 2011, I came back from Mexico with Typhoid (I was diagnosed in Mexico). I had antibiotics and was fine a week later. About a month later, he became very sick. He barely moved, vomited everything, and bad diarrhea (not sure if if had anything to do with my typhoid...) Eventually there was nothing else to come out. He took a prescription of Cipro and a few days later was perfectly fine. Like nothing had ever happened.

After that, his stool was fine, solid, normal color, no blood, nothing! Like the last 4 years had never happened! Recently though his stool has gone back to liquidly and slightly bloody. He had normal stool for about 6-7 months.

My question: How is that possible? Does he really have ulcerative colitis if it just went away? and why did it come back? Could it be as simple as a bacterial imbalance?

Please help! Thank you for your time and any suggestions you can offer!
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Crohn's Disease / Ulcerative Colitis Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank